What Should I Pack?: A Summer in Chile

Chile is such a long country, why does it have to have so many climates? Since I don't know my Chilean summer host family's location yet, I have no idea really what to pack. All I know is that wherever I go, it is going to be cold. For northern hemisphere readers, June - August is summer, but for everyone below the equator, it's winter.  

I know that I'll need to pack a jacket not hawaianas (if you read my previous post, you'll know what I'm talking about), but that's all I really know so far. If I'm in the north, in a city like Valparaiso, it will be a nice, cool climate. If I'm in Santiago, the central capital city, I will need a thick skin and even thicker jacket, and if I am placed on the end of the earth in Tierra del Fuego, I'm going to freeze no matter what I pack.

Case in point: Packing is going to be essential. I have been reading up on tips and recommendations for Chile and travel in general, so I will be prepared for whatever AFS throws at me. There are some great articles on the National Geographic Travel website that I have linked below. They are worth looking at whether planning a trip or just curious. Let's hope they are as informative as they seem, so that when I'm placed, I'll be ready to be out the door in 'un segundo'.

How to Pack for Trips from National Geographic:

It's from 2012, but it's still informative: The 10 Rules of Packing by Aric S. Queen

An oldie, but a goodie from 2009: Packing for a Big Trip by Norie Quintos

This one is more about staying healthy while traveling, but it's still interesting: How to: Stay Healthy on the Road by Annie Fitzsimmons

Labels: , ,

.